Monday, November 9, 2015

Just a Chapter in My Book of Life

            A long time ago, in the Milky Way Galaxy, well not that long ago just 21 years to be exact, , a girl was born to Ileana and Albert. The mother wanted to name her Ileabel; the father, Sophia and after some dispute they settled for Lauren after some Back to the Future movie character. Albert was a fan of the movie and liked the actress that played his daughter’s namesake. She was the first baby in the family after approximately 12 years, so naturally she was loved and a little spoiled by all of them. Two and a half years later, a new baby came, a boy they named Carlos, after his maternal uncle. Although there was some little jealously at first, as one would expect, little Lauren was very excited and happy with the arrival of her new playmate. They were a happy normal family; there was really nothing out of the ordinary. This is the story of who I am, what I have become so far and whom I hope to be.

            Some of the earliest memories of my family are all happy ones. I don’t think I had a lack of anything. Ileana and Albert were excellent parents and they provided for everything that a child would need. One of my favorite childhood memories has got to be those times I got to played as a Doctor and my parents and brother were my patients. For as long as I could remember, being a Doctor is something that I have always wanted to achieve, even though there is no one in my family that followed that profession. Mom and Dad obviously encouraged this goal of mine and I still have the notebooks filled with childlike drawings of Hospitals, ambulances, and my patients’ (my family and collection of dolls) medical history. My bookshelves were not only had the expected fairy tales, but also it had some medical education books for children. Although I don’t remember half of it, I can say those first seven years of my life were all rainbows and magic. Then on October 2001, exactly five months after my first family trip to Walt Disney World, my father died. Suddenly my life and that of my whole family was turned upside down. His death was unexpected just like it almost always is with young people. I was just seven years old and my brother was 4, we were both too young to really understand what was happening and why. That time and the few years after that were probably the darkest times I have ever had the misfortune to pass. Nevertheless, with the help of my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends we moved on and the pain diminished and we all somehow worked together to piece our family back together stronger than ever. You could say we are a tight knit group.


            The rest of my childhood and teenage years were probably really boring in the sense that nothing really extraordinary happened. Only Life happened. I studied, went out with my friends and graduated High School just like any other person. I still want to become a Doctor and as of right now while I write this little story I have a year and a half left for my first year in Medical School. I grew up and laughed and cried, gained and loose, learned new lessons and gained new experiences, accomplished goals and I am close to achieve some more. I owe it all to Mom, who has raised me and supported me in every step I have taken and to the rest of my family too. Each of them has taught me valuable lessons and contributed their piece on who I have become. It is my most fervent wish to be someone they are proud of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment